About village Dobšice
The village was founded in 1190. Dobšice are known for archaeological findings dating back to the neolithic and the Bronze Age. Roman silver coins were also found. Historically significant are two sand stone crosses, which are probably from the time of Cyril and Methodius. The most significant person in the history of Dobšice was a carpenter and wood carver John Lahofer. Even though there is not much information about his life, we can still admire his work. In the St. Wenceslaus Church you can see ornate benches with scenes from the life of the St. Norbert. The Prague Strahov monastery has a magnificent library, which consists of beautiful, ornate cabinets and bookcases made of walnut wood.
Historical monuments of the village Dobšice
Even Napoleon was at Dobšice – On the July 10th and 11th 1809 a battle took place between Znojmo and Dobšice that ended the Napoleon´s victorious campaign through Europe. During the fighting Dobšice changed owner five times and finaly on the July 11th has become French the master. The village was burned to the ground, the loss of civilian populations has never been accurately quantified. On the September 28th 2002 was in Dobšice unveiled a monument as a reminder of that event. Another important reminder is newly built and opened cycling trail called Following Napoleon´s footsteps in Znojmo region.